[Pw_forum] nondegenerate electrons in DFT.

Jiayu Dai daijiayu at nudt.edu.cn
Wed Dec 9 13:26:49 CET 2009

> Correct - you would use Fermi-Dirac for the electronic occupations, and
> include
> enough bands to make sure the the highest bands are almost empty.

Thanks a lot. Therefore, we can deal with the nondegenerate electrons using this
way. However, i think the convergence and the computational speed should be a
problem in this case.

> This is the canonical extension to DFT according to Mermin (look at his
> Phys Rev papers
> from the late 60s) - note that the true xc functional would be
> temperature-dependent, but
> you would use a 0 temperature one. There might be early work (Singwi ?)
> on the matter.

About the effect of xc functional in MD, there is a work recently talking about
it(High Energy Density Physics,5,2009,74). And the found small influence.
Therefore, i think we can use a zero temperature xc functional here.

Thanks.

Jiayu

Jiayu Dai
Department of Physics
National University of Defense Technology,
Changsha, 410073, P R China