[Pw_forum] Pw_forum Digest, Vol 30, Issue 16

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatto at sissa.it
Tue Dec 8 10:19:45 CET 2009

Replying to message "Re: [Pw_forum] Pw_forum Digest, Vol 30, Issue 16"
 from Q.J.Wang (08/12/09):
> The system I study is not insulator ,it is semiconductor(doped ZnO)and
> the system has odd electrons .This can not apply an electic field via
> Berry phase ?

Dear QJ,
a semiconductor *is* (at zero temperature) an insulator, and it has an
even number of electrons per cell. ZnO is a semi-conductor, doped ZnO is a
conductor, maybe with a low density of carriers, but still a conductor.
What matters for the Berry phase method is if you have partially occupied
bands, you do.

Anyway, you are free to try, but it is your responsibility to study the
theory and see if it makes sense. There are actually not many people that
can give you a meaningful advice on this subject (without even knowing
your system).

regards

--
Lorenzo Paulatto