[Pw_forum] spin splitting

vtmtrinh at caltech.edu vtmtrinh at caltech.edu
Mon Aug 17 21:36:25 CEST 2009

Hi Gabriele,

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry for the unclear question.
The question is to calculate the splitting between the spin up and spin
down states in the conduction band (CB) of Si. For equlibrium Si bulk,
there should be no spin splitting. Therefore, the splitting can be induced
by moving the atoms a long phonon modes. The spin splitting is probably of
the order ~1e-7eV.

Yes, you are right.  I need to set nspin=2.  Since I also need to include
the spin-orbit coupling in this calculation, I have to use
noncolinear=.true.

I run a calculation yesterday, in which I set lspinorb=.true. and
noncolinear=.true. By setting this I think that spin-polarized calculation
was aslo done.  However, in the output, I don't see the eigen values for
spin up and spin down, but only one (like for the non-polarization case).
I am not sure if I did not set the right parameters.  Attached is my
input.  Could you let me know what wrong with it.

Thanks,

MyTrinh