[Pw_forum] About zero point energy

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 17 12:53:50 CEST 2009

> (5) > matdyn.x < phdos.in (Calculating phonon density of states)
> and this will produce a file called "Al.phdos" which contains the
> phonon density of states. Now by typing:
> awk '{e=e+2*1/2}END{print e/33.357*4.1357/1000}' Al.phdos

Dear Lihui,

I would be careful in getting quantities via the integration of
densities of states
(by the way, is it only me with this bias ?).

Every time an electronic or a phononic band goes flat you have a van
hove singularity in the density of states - to me it seems that
integrating that
carefully requires a lot of diligence in sampling, while it would be
straightforward
to obtain if you were doing a k-point integral.

Question for Eyvaz - does the qha code do the integrals in reciprocal
space, or via the pdos ?

nicola