[Pw_forum] Doubt in computation time

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 17 11:45:47 CEST 2009

Dear Neel,

there is no difference. You can specify the size of your unit cell using
different units of measure, but provided you
convert your units correctly, you will of course have the same unit
cell, and same computational cost.

Of course you can use larger cells that contain multiples of the
primitive unit cell, and this a larger "nat"
and a larger computational cost.

Suggestion - before proceeding further with the code, try to study
silicon using a 2-atom fcc unit cell,
specifying atomic positions in any of the possible modes, and checking
that the results and the computational
time does not change.

                nicola