[Pw_forum] Reply (was Frequency and zero point energy calculations)

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Mon Aug 17 08:46:52 CEST 2009

Dear Lihui,

oulihui666 wrote:
> Dear Gabriele Sclauzero,
>   I am intend to calculate the frequency of CO2 molecule, so I should
> perform scf calculation at first, when setting k points as gamma, it
> will appear a error in the process of calculating frequency, as follows:
> from phq_readin. error #1
> cannot start from pw.x data file using Gamma-point tricks

 From what I can understand, this does not mean that you cannot do the calculation for the
Gamma point only, but rather that the calculation cannot be done using Gamma
point-specific algorithms (which are much faster than the general ones).
You should anyway be allowed to do the calculation using
K_POINTS AUTOMATIC
1 1 1  0 0 0
which builds a k-point grid containing the Gamma point only, but does not use Gamma-point
tricks.

You can do the relaxations (and all other expensive pw calculations) using
K_POINTS GAMMA
and then, starting from the optimized atomic positions, do a nscf run using
K_POINTS AUTOMATIC
1 1 1  0 0 0
before the phonon run.

Cheers

GS

P.S: please avoid private mails and stick to the thread you started in the forum, so that
anyone can help and know when your problem has been solved. Thanks!

--

| Gabriele Sclauzero, PhD Student                  |