[Pw_forum] matdyn error

Mikiyas Tsegaye mastermik at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 16:13:46 CEST 2009

Dear Rakshit,

I'm just copy pasting from a previous answer in the forum to the same
question: it might help, it might not.

Hello,
   Assuming that there are no problems of numerical inaccuracy or
inadequate convergence
thresholds, negative frequencies at gamma point in a geometry-relaxed
system usually mean that
(within the system and the calculation method used) there is some
distortion (decreasing the
symmetry of the system) which leads to lower energy, i.e. you are at a
saddle point in the energy
hypersurface. You must move some atom out of the initial symmetry and
optimize geometry
again starting from that modified situation. If you can obtain the
vector coordinates for the normal
mode of vibration corresponding to the negative frequency, a
displacement of the involved atoms,
proportional to that normal mode, by e.g. a maximum of 0.2 angstrom
will give to you a starting
displaced geometry closer to the true energy minimum. Sometimes you
need to do this several
times if not all of the negative frequencies disappear after the first
attempt.
If, after obtaining a new geometry with no negative frequencies at the
gamma point, you still have
negative frequencies at other BZ points, this means that your system
is unstable against some
atomic displacements that multiply some of the primitive cell vectors
by e.g. 2 or 3, leading to a
supercell. Curing this situation may be more tedious.
Good luck,
Jose C. Conesa
Instituto de Catalisis y Petroleoquimica, CSIC
Campus de Cantoblanco
28049 Madrid  -  Spain
Phone Nr. 34-91-5854766
Fax Nr. 34-91-5854760