[Pw_forum] nelec

Haowei Peng haoweipeng at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 17:02:43 CEST 2009

Hi ali,

I think you can consider this issue step by step.
First, figure out the band structure of the original materials.
And then, you can find out where the added electrons or holes will be
located.

Corrections are needed if: 1, the cell is small; 2, the dielectric constants
are very small; 3, the number of added electrons or holes is very large, eg
3 or 4..
But, the makov-payne correction itself is not correct, because it describe
the added electrons as point charge.
for more details, please see the paper Computational Materials Science 30
(2004) 337–348, especially Fig.1.
So I think the best method is use a larger cell, and compare the results....

Best regards,

--
Haowei Peng
Northwestern University