[Pw_forum] TDDFT and GW

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Fri Aug 7 10:11:54 CEST 2009

On Aug 7, 2009, at 9:09 AM, Michael Sullivan wrote:

> I was looking into this a bit this week…
>
> If I understand it correctly, both YAMBO and SaX can perform GW
> calculations. Is there any reason to use one over the other and in
> what situations?
>
> By the way, information about SaX can be found here: http://www.sax-project.org/

You are right, Mike. Both yambo and sax have gw/bse capabilities. I
think it is an exciting opportunity for the QE community to give both
codes a try, and a great opportuniy for their respective developers'
groups to get feedback from us.

As for the announced GW/tddft capabilities in QE. They are both on
their way, and they will address a different target from yambo and
sax. The tddft module in QE implements a new Lanczos approach to time-
dependent density-functional (perturbation) theory, particularly
designed to cope with large systems (several hundreds atoms). See:
JChemPhys 128, 154105 ( 2008). Our implementation of GW will be based
on new algorithms to address large systems (a few hundreds atoms).
see:  PRB 79, 201104  (2009), and to be published. Both codes will
presumably have fewer features/capabilities than generalist codes such
as sax/yambo.

Stay tuned!
SB

Both modules will be made available in the next few weeks/months
(Q4-2009)

> Mike Sullivan
> Institute of High Performance Computing, Singapore
> http://www.sullivan.sg/

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
http://stefano.baroni.me [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /
stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget