[Pw_forum] phonon calculation for large system

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Thu Apr 30 10:13:46 CEST 2009

Paolo Giannozzi wrote:
> On Apr 30, 2009, at 9:46 , Gabriele Sclauzero wrote:
>
>> i think that this kind of parallelization has already been  exploited
>> in the latest versions of CVS, in order to use ph.x on the GRID.
>> I don't know if all the related problems have been fixed at this stage
>
> they have, but I am not sure you can run hundreds of atoms on the grid:
> the single-q, single-mode calculation has to fit into the memory of
> each node.

Of course, you are right. Anyway, I think you can use this parallelization level even on a
cluster, so that you do not have to do modes and irreps sequentially, but you can split
them in concurrently running (multiprocessor) jobs so that you-ll have an actual speed-up.
Or are you forced to use a single processor in order to exploit this start_q, last_q,...
keywords?

GS