[Pw_forum] How to plot molecular hybrid orbitals for surface slab geometry?

vega lew quantumdft at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 18:27:30 CEST 2009

Dear sir,

>>was this person by any chance an organic chemist??

to some extent.

>>this is what the gods of quantum chemistry created the population
>>analysis for. after you project on atomic (pseudo) wavefunctions you
>>can determine the amount of s-,p-,d-character of your individual states.
>>this is not without problems, though. the partitioning is somewhat
>>arbitrary and the projection from plane waves to atomic orbitals is
>>not complete, i.e. you are missing out on some contributions that do
>>not fit into the atomic orbital basis you provide.

Do you mean the projwfc.x could help me quite a lot? If so, i would be very
happy.
I just identify a kind of structural feature for certain atomic arrangement.
if the atom
near the surface arrange that way, dissociative adsorption of water could be
favourable.
But I can't tell why that rules is correct? so I tried to explain something
at electronic
scale. Do you think I could explain this just by plotting some DoS/pDoS for
certain atoms?
Is there a systemic tutorial or text book for it?

By the way, I'm considering intel Quadcore XEON 5500 series CPU and
corresponding dual socket motherboard.
the memory bandwith could be tripled as I7 series. May I have your opinion
about QE performance on 5500 series
servers? Do you think it is really a sensible decision to spend ~$20,000 for
four XEON 5500 servers.

thank you for your time

vega

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu

Email: vegalew at gmail.com
Office: Room A705, Technical Innovation Building, Xinmofan Road 5#, Nanjing,
Jiangsu, China