[Pw_forum] about superposition of atomic rho and atomic wfc's

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sun Sep 28 20:33:04 CEST 2008

Dear Reza Ebraahimi,

Quoting Reza Ebraahimi <rezaebraahimi at yahoo.com>:
> Hi
> I am new with pwscf, so sorry if my question seems basic to you!
> i have noticed that the code calculates the superpositon of charge
> density and wfc's from atomic configurations by two subroutines:
> "atomic_rho.f90" and "atomic_wfc.f90". Could anyone refer me to a
> text or something to know exactly what happens in these two( i mean
> mathematically)?

atomic_rho builds the charge density from superposition of atomic
charges in reciprocal space as the product of the spherical fourier
transform of the atomic charge and the structure factor of each atomic
species and then tranform them in real space.
atomic_wfc does the same for the wfcs with some variations due to the
fact that wfcs correspond to a given angular momentum.

To understand the coded formulas it may be useful to have at hand the
expansion of a plane wave in terms of spherical harmonics and bessel
functions that one can find in basic book on quantum mechanics.

> And i thought that we need the superposition of charge density from
> atomic configuration to build up the KS Hamiltonian( with the
> knowledge of n(r) ) and obtain the solid wfc's by diagonalizing it
> at the first iteration. Why do we need the superposition of wfc's
> from atomic configuration?

Iterative diagonalizations require a starting guess.
The code allows you to choose among atomic or random...

> Thank You

Don't forget to provide your affiliation

best regards,

Stefano de Gironcoli - SISSA and DEMOCRITOS