[Pw_forum] Calculations for Au

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Wed Sep 17 21:59:21 CEST 2008

Leandro: the value of the Fermi energy (as well as of any energy, for
that matter) depends of the reference level. What you are referring to
is probably the "Fermi energy referred to the vacuum level" (i.e. the
work function). In order to obtain that, you need to know what the
vacuum level is, which cannot be said from a bulk calculation only.
This has been discussed many times on this forum, I think, as well as
in many solid-state/electronic-structure/surface-science textbooks. If
after reading some relevant literature you still do not understand why
the value of the work function cannot be obtained form a bulk
calculation, please revert to us and I will try to give you some more
explanations ...

cheers - SB

On Sep 17, 2008, at 8:29 PM, Leandro Moreira de Campos Pinto wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to perform a scf calculation for Au and I obtained a value
> of Fermi Energy about ~16 eV, and in the literature I found this value
> like ~5.5 eV. What should be causing this discrepancy?
>
> Another problem occur when I use pseudopotentials generated with PWGGA
> xc. The error is: "Some wfcs were lost".
>
> I will appreciate the suggestions.
>
> Best regards,
>
> leandro

> * Leandro Moreira de Campos Pinto       *
> * Lab. Eletrocatalise, Fac. de Ciencias *
> * UNESP, P.O. Box 473                   *
> * 17033-360, Bauru, SP, Brazil          *
> * http://www.fc.unesp.br/grupo_dafc     *

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
http://www.sissa.it/~baroni / [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /
stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget