[Pw_forum] some problem in lowdin charges

huangchunlin1984 huangchunlin1984 at 163.com
Wed Sep 17 03:55:27 CEST 2008

Doctor:
       I have done Lowdin population analysis on the Fe clusters. From the Lowdin charges, I find that the total charge of the cluster is a little lower than the accurate value. Take the Fe3 cluster for example,using 3d4s for Fe.
    Lowdin charges:
        Atom # 1: total charge = 7.8407   ...
        Atom # 2: total charge = 7.8407   ...
        Atom # 3: total charge = 8.0938   ...
    The sum charge of the three atoms is 23.7752 which is not 24. So where is the other charges ? Or is this accurate enough ?
    the input is as follows:
      &inputpp
         outdir='./'
         prefix='Fe3'