[Pw_forum] enthlapy of a system

Matteo Cococcioni matteo at umn.edu
Tue Sep 2 18:25:53 CEST 2008

Dear Bipul,

the pressure you get as the Tr of the stress tensor can be a little
inconsistent with the one you would get from the E(V) curve unless you
keep the number of plane waves constant for all the lattice spacing
(i.e. you change the cutoff with the volume of the unit cell).
The reason is the variational nature of E: for larger cells you get
smaller Brillouin zones and a larger number of plane waves in the
calculation that makes E decrease more than "expected" just from the
increase of lattice spacing.
The stress instead is computed for a given unit cell and a fixed number
of plane waves.

Probably you can find other messages about this in the forum archive.

Regards,

Matteo