[Pw_forum] Pseudo-potential cutoff recommendations

JR Schmidt schmidt at chem.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 30 02:32:15 CET 2008

Is there an simple mechanism that can be used to estimate a reasonable
cutoff energy for a given pseudo-potential?  I realize that these values
need to be checked for convergence, but I would like to at least get a
reasonable starting point.  It appears that there are fields stored in
the pseudo-potential files that are supposed to give "reasonable"
defaults for both the wavefunction and density KE cutoffs, but they seem
to be always zero in every case I have checked.

I'm guessing a possible answer is to run a calculation on the isolated
atom for each atom type.  However this seems like something that would
have been done previously for each pseudo-potential and tabulated somewhere.

Please forgive me if this question comes up frequently, but I couldn't
find an easy mechanism to search the archives.

--
J.R. Schmidt
Assistant Professor of Chemistry

Phone: (608) 262-2996