[Pw_forum] My phonon dispersion curves are jagged too

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 28 17:48:52 CET 2008

Dear Serge,

in the past we encountered a problem in the cubic perovskites,
in which the davidson algorithm would converge the top band
at some k-points to an "excited state". This is, afaik, a problem
with some algorithms (much more so with diis); a simple
solution was to use "atomic+random" as a starting point, and maybe
use "cg" as the minimization strategy in the scf calculation,
with a very tight tolerance.

Try that, maybe without redoing the phonons, just to see if the
calculations converge to the same ground state, or to a lower one.

					nicola