[Pw_forum] QE 4.0.2: configure error

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Wed Oct 22 11:22:40 CEST 2008

Sangamesh B wrote:

> *checking for /opt/mpich2_107_GNU/bin/mpif90... no*
>
> Why its not detecting mpif90?

either because it is not there, or because it is there and
it doesn't work, or because configure doesn't like the name
with leading path. Put "/opt/mpich2_107_GNU/bin/" first in
your path and let configure detect "mpif90".

> configure: WARNING: serial/parallel compiler mismatch detected
> configure: WARNING: parallel compiler  uses gfortran, but serial
> compiler is /usr/bin/gfortran
>
> I'm not getting why its telling mismatch?

again: don't use full paths. I added the warning above for convenience,
to prevent problems in badly installed machines where mpif90 uses a
serial compiler that is not the first found in the path. It is just a
warning, it tells you to pay attention, what do you want more?????

> Earlier, in the same cluster espresso-3.2 was working fine. I think
> there might be a problem with configure script itself.

then please find the problem, if you can. I am confident that there
is no problem in the configure.ac script, but it cannot detect all
configurations on all machines. And please note that configure has
correctly recognized the pathscale compiler. It is not configure's
fault if the pathscale compiler is, like 99% of the commercial fortran
compilers, a piece of crap that cannot correctly compile a moderately
complex suite of codes. And in any event: Q-E has 1001 pieces, are you
sure that the one that doesn't work with pathscale is the one you
absolutely need?

Paolo