[Pw_forum] QE 4.0.2: configure error

Sangamesh B forum.san at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 08:49:38 CEST 2008

Hi,

   Today I'm trying to build QE-4.0.2 from GNU compilers. Installed
mpich2-1.0.7 with gcc4 and gfortran.

   When I try to configure QE, its failing. The output of configure is:

[root at deepblue espresso-4.0.2_GNU]# ./configure | tee config_GNU
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking architecture... amd64
checking for Fortran 77 compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the Fortran 77 compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... yes
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... yes
checking whether /usr/bin/gfortran accepts -g... yes
*checking for /opt/mpich2_107_GNU/bin/mpif90... no*

Why its not detecting mpif90?

checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
checking whether  accepts -g... no
checking version of ... unknown, assuming gfortran
configure: WARNING: serial/parallel compiler mismatch detected
configure: WARNING: parallel compiler  uses gfortran, but serial compiler is
/usr/bin/gfortran

I'm not getting why its telling mismatch?

setting F90... /usr/bin/gfortran
setting MPIF90...
checking whether /usr/bin/gcc4 accepts -g... yes
checking for /usr/bin/gcc4 option to accept ANSI C... none needed
setting CC... /usr/bin/gcc4
checking how to run the C preprocessor... /usr/bin/gcc4 -E
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for int *... yes
checking size of int *... 8
checking malloc.h usability... yes
checking malloc.h presence... yes
checking for malloc.h... yes
checking for struct mallinfo.arena... yes
checking for /usr/bin/gfortran... no
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
checking whether  accepts -g... no
setting F77...
using F90... /usr/bin/gfortran
setting FFLAGS... -O
setting F90FLAGS... $(FFLAGS)
setting FFLAGS_NOOPT... -O0
setting CFLAGS... -O3
setting CPP... cpp
setting CPPFLAGS... -P -traditional
setting LD...
setting LDFLAGS...
setting AR... ar
setting ARFLAGS... ruv
setting ARFLAGS_DYNAMIC...ruv
checking whether Fortran files must be preprocessed... yes
checking how to get verbose linking output from ... configure: WARNING:
compilation failed

checking for Fortran libraries of ...
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran libraries... none
checking for Fortran name-mangling scheme... configure: error: cannot
compile a simple Fortran program
See `config.log' for more details.

Earlier, in the same cluster espresso-3.2 was working fine. I think there
might be a problem with configure script itself.

Thanks,
Sangamesh