[Pw_forum] Total energy diverges in cell relaxation

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Thu Oct 16 22:00:06 CEST 2008

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Hui Tang wrote:

hi hui,

your cell is expanding quite a bit and your cutoff is not
that large. with an expanding cell, your _effective_ cutoff
becomes much smaller as the number of plane waves remains
constant during a variable cell calculation. have you tested
the stess tensor convergence vs. the cutoff? you basically
have to figure out how many plane waves you need for a well
converged stress tensor at the largest expansion of your cell
and then you have to set the cutoff at the beginning so that
it results in the same number of plane waves...

that would explain why it works (better) if you restart.

also, did you test the pseudopotentials for ghost states?

cheers,
   axel.

p.s.: please provide an affiliation. thanks.