[Pw_forum] On making a *.axsf file with XCrySDen

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Tue Oct 14 01:10:50 CEST 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Paul M. Grant wrote:

PG> Thanks, again, Axel.
PG>
PG> You probably know ImageMagick can be incorporated into XCrySDen, along with
PG> the "animation tools" Whirlgif and mpeg_encode.  However, the latter two
PG> will not be "raised" by XCrySDen unless the file type is axsf.  You're
PG> suggestion to use ImageMagick is a good one and I'll have a look.
PG>
PG> BTW, it seems there's a plethora of mpeg screen capture tools for Linux...go
PG> have a look at:
PG> http://www.linux.com/feature/38221

xvidcap looks like the application that i had initially in mind
(basically an extended version of the X11 standard tool "xwd")
with some conversion and audio export integrated directly. due to
its nature, it may have problems dumping the output of OpenGL
windows, but if that works (which is most likely the case if you
don't have a fully 3d-accelerated OpenGL card (nvidia or ati/amd)
with the corresponding vendor provided driver), it should be more
efficient as imagemagick's import.

the vnc method is interesting, but actually not that surprising,
since vnc does export whole desktops and one just has to dump the
(compressed) data simply to a file and then decode and convert it
after the fact. i'm actually using VNC right now to have the desktop
of my laptop exported to my desktop (i'm writing mails almost
exclusively from the laptop). vnc only supports minimal OpenGL
functionality, too.

cheers,
   axel.

p.s.: as shown on the xvidcap homepage. using screen captures generated
like this could be a very interesting way to add to a potential on-line
tutorial for Q-E and make Q-E tutorials possible for larger/diverse
groups  as people can study at their own pace, and have demonstrations
repeated as many times as they wish, without wearing out the patience
of the tutor. ;-)