[Pw_forum] On making a *.axsf file with XCrySDen

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Mon Oct 13 18:11:10 CEST 2008

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008, Paul M. Grant wrote:

paul,

PG> Axel, thanks for getting back on this.  Let me think about your suggestion
PG> and see what others have to comment as well.

it is actually quite difficult to give a recommendation,
since everybody uses a different nomenclature when it comes
to visualization and animations, based on background, software
being used and ability to put visual ideas in words (which i
always found very difficult).

PG> Reflecting on "animation" in general a little more, I wonder if there's a
PG> Linux screen capture tool available somewhere analogous to KDE Ksnapshot for
PG> jpeg images, but which could capture motion in addition resulting in an mpeg
PG> file.  Now that would be a handy and nifty gadget for lots of purposes!

there is a number of ways to do this and it depends on whether
you want a "realtime" capture or just "one frame per update"
type animations. the former could in principle be done on any
x11 based machine with some smart shell scripting using the
xwd utility after figuring out the x window id of the display
window. the latter is a method that is been used by many "movie maker"
tools that are integrated into visualization programs.

in both cases you assemble a sequence of snapshots and then use
tools like ppmtompeg, mencoder, convert, gifsicle and so on
to turn them into an mpeg, avi, or animated gif movie.

please note that "realtime" capture (for mpeg) would require a
screenshot frequency of up to 30 snapshots per second which is
probably beyond the capability of most hardware, not to mention
the limitations of the X protocol... but then again, it would
reduced the load and hardware requirements at playback time a lot.

it should be possible to write a proof-of-concept code based on
existing tools rather quickly. i'll put it on my (ever growing)
TODO list and will get back to you if i have something that is
worth trying out.

cheers,
   axel.