[Pw_forum] On making a *.axsf file with XCrySDen

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Mon Oct 13 02:17:44 CEST 2008

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008, Paul M. Grant wrote:

hi paul,

not sure whether this is helpful, but i managed to do something
similar to what you describe with VMD (granted VMD is still missing
a lot of features for crystals etc. so it may not work as well for you).

the problem is that usually volumetric data sets are not associated
with the individual time step of an animation. the VMD script works
because it is loading a sequence of cube files with a 1:1 correlation
of coordinate and volumetric data and then makes the correlation by
replacing the volumetric data sets through a callback hook to the
animation loop frame number variable (standard tcl method). see:

http://www.theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/~axel.kohlmeyer/cpmd-vmd/part5.html#chap7_sect6

for more complicated scenarios (e.g. i have dome some nice movies of
the fluctuations of spin densities of electron pairs in the cavities
of an electride-like compound) one has to write more complicated tcl
scripts.

i would assume that there may be similar scripts possible with xcrysden,
provided the script API is flexible enough... (never tried it).

cheers,
   axel.