[Pw_forum] k point convergence of dielectric properties

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Fri Oct 10 10:19:09 CEST 2008

Dear Dario,

this is an issue related to the fact that a shifted grid in the fcc
Bravais lattice has  lower symmetry than cubic... just think of the
simplest
1 1 1 1 1 1 grid that should contains one single point  L=(1/2 1/2 1/2)
but actually represents  the 4 (rotationally but not translationally)
equivalent points (1/2 1/2 1/2), (-1/2,-1/2,1/2),
(-1/2,1/2,-1/2),(1/2,-1/2,-1/2) . The argument can be easily extended to
denser grids and shows that the shifted grid represents 4*N^3 points in
the fcc BZ.
This explains why the shifted grid appears more accurate (it is actually
denser than you think) and why the number of points it contains is
larger than you may have thought ... In fact avoiding high symmetry
points like the Gamma point,  contained in the unshifted grid, should
help reducing the number of inequivalent points while instead the number
of  shifted points for a given nominal density is larger than the number
of unshifted ones... true, but the corresponding parent grid is actually
4 times denser than you may have thought...and the "symmetry reductions"
factor is indeed larger for the shifted grid
for example:
shifted     4*4*4 -> 256 points in the full BZ -> 10 points in the IW
=>  sym. red. fact. = 25.6
unshifted 4*4*4 ->  64 points in the full BZ ->   8 points in the IW =>
sym. red. fact. = 8

Some time (especially if your system does not have much symmetry to
start with) you don't really care about sampling the BZ according to a
fully cubic symmetry but a regular grid in the 3 directions is enough..
in this case the use of shifted grids may results in a large amount of
"un-needed" k-points which you may want NOT to include in the
calculation... this annoying fact is the origin of the infamous
nosym=.true. options that much confusion generates in most users until
they realize what its meaning and purpose really is ... there are many
threads on that in the archive....

As to the fact that total energy are less sensitive than dielectric
properties to k-points sampling this is a well known fact
[see for instance  S.Baroni and R. Resta, PRB 33, 7017 (1986)]

Hope this helps,

stefano
--

Stefano de Gironcoli - SISSA and DEMOCRITOS