[Pw_forum] forces in the 'sawtooth' method

Liping Yu lyu7 at ncsu.edu
Sat Oct 4 14:36:14 CEST 2008

Just one comment on this:

The Born effective charge should be defined as Force/macroscopic internal
field. The applied field in the slab by sawtooth method actually is the
electric displacement D not the field in the slab. So your obtained
effective charge maybe differ from the one from bulk phonon calculation by
 a factor of the dielectric constant of the slab. On the other hand,
please note that for such a thin slab, the calculated dielectric constant
may depend on how you average the field or polarization of the slab, and
may differ a lot from bulk dielectric constant.

Best

Liping YU
Department of Physics,
North Carolina State University