[Pw_forum] forces in the 'sawtooth' method

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Sat Oct 4 09:24:12 CEST 2008

Dear Chen: just two remarks that may or may not be relevant.
1) The "measured" forces seem to me rather small in magnitude. There
may be accuracy issues. I would try to increase the value of the
electric field and check that estimated effective charges are
numerically stable in the range of the linear regime (this check
should always be done when estimating derivatives numerically).
2) I am out of town at this time, without any textbook handy, so I
cannot check the correct definitions and current nomenclature.
However, in the literature one defines two different "effective
charges" which differ by a factor equal to the dielectric constant
(basically, one is the force generated by an unit *applied* field, the
other is the one generated by a unit *internal* field. You may want to
check the consistency of what you calculate with what the phonon code
provides.
Cheers - SB

On Oct 4, 2008, at 2:10 AM, alan chen wrote:

> Dear PWSCF users,
>    In order to check whether the forces in the 'sawtooth' method are
> calculated correctly in the latest version-4.0.2(no offense
> intended), we carry out the following test. We calculate an isolated
> symmetric 5-layer STO slab (input file is attached below). In the
> absence of electric field, there are no forces on the middle TiO2
> layer due to symmetry. Then we turn on a weak electric field (0.0001
> a.u.) and obtain the forces on Ti and on O are 0.00046 and -0.00013
> Ry/au, respectively (in the middle TiO2 layer). Therefore the Born
> effective charges of Ti and O are approximately
>
> e*(Ti)=0.00046/0.0001/2= 2.3
> e*(O)=-0.00013/0.0001/2= -0.65
>
> The factor '2' is due to the units. However from both phonon
> frequency calculation and literature, the Born effective charges of
> Ti and O are:
>
> e*(Ti)= 7.25
> e*(O)= -2.06
>
> I am just wondering whether my method is correct. If it is correct,
> does that imply there might be something wrong with the forces in
> the 'sawtooth' method.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Hanghui Chen
> Department of Physics, Yale University
>
> &CONTROL
>   calculation='scf'
>   wf_collect=.true.
>   pseudo_dir = './psp'
>   outdir='.'
>   wfcdir='/scratch'
>   prefix='STO-5.5uc-EF0.0001-scf'
>   tprnfor = .true.
>   tstress = .true.
>   disk_io='low'
>   verbosity='high'
>   dt=80.D0
>   tefield=.true.
> /
> &SYSTEM
>   ibrav=  6
>   celldm(1) = 7.27
>   celldm(3) = 10.0
>   nat=  27
>   ntyp= 3
>   ecutwfc = 30.0
>   ecutrho = 180.0
>   occupations='smearing'
>   smearing=gauss
>   degauss=0.005
>   edir=3
>   emaxpos=0.8
>   eopreg=0.1
>   eamp=0.0001
> /
> &ELECTRONS
>   diagonalization='david'
>   mixing_beta = 0.7D0
>   diago_david_ndim = 4
>   startingwfc='atomic'
>   startingpot='file'
>   conv_thr = 1.0d-8
> /
> &IONS
>   ion_dynamics = 'damp'
>   phase_space = 'full'
>   pot_extrapolation = 'second_order'
>   wfc_extrapolation = 'second_order'
> /
> &CELL
>   cell_dynamics = 'damp-w'
> [...]

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
http://www.sissa.it/~baroni / [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /
stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget