[Pw_forum] a strange behavior for QE-v4 compared with QE-v3

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Wed Nov 26 09:29:42 CET 2008

this looks a lot like you are using two different versions
of MKL for the two compiles and thus are another "victim"
of the automatic threading of MKL v10. you should not
have a process with >100% CPU with a regular compile.
now if you have 8 cores and 8 MPI tasks and each of them
threads across 8 cores, you have a) a severe overload of
the scheduler and b) a big mess and all kinds of bad
performance issues.

try setting OMP_NUM_THREADS=1 and check if that
changes the behavior.

cheers,
   axel.