[Pw_forum] a strange behavior for QE-v4 compared with QE-v3

lan haiping lanhaiping at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 19:58:24 CET 2008

Dear Paolo,
thanks for explaination.
But this behavior  is really strange i have ever come to.
i have tried to rebuild the mpich and the QE, and nothing is
gained.   Another strange problem is  that the work i execute  parallelly
with QE-v4  sometimes come to idle without execuation or output
information.

is there any other suggestion to figure what the problem with it ?

thanks

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Paolo Giannozzi <giannozz at democritos.it>wrote:

> lan haiping wrote:
>
> > A strange  behavior is found for QE v4 when i carry out parallel
> > executation [...] But this situation doesnot happen when i try
> > to run the same work with QE-v3.
>
> it's hard to say anything meaningful based on the output of "top"
> and little more. There are several parallelization levles in QE,
> as explained here:
> http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wiki/index.php/Running_on_parallel_machines
> I don't remember what happened between v.3 and v.4, but whatever
> happened, it is unlikely to make parallelism less effective.
>
> Paolo
> --
> Paolo Giannozzi, Democritos and University of Udine, Italy

Hai-Ping Lan
Department of Electronics ,
Peking University , Bejing, 100871
lanhaiping at gmail.com, hplan at pku.edu.cn