[Pw_forum] problem with primitive cell

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Nov 18 08:57:14 CET 2008

Dear Krishna chaitanya ,
   the problem with eq 2 is that it defines the surface energy as a
(small) difference between large numbers and tiny inaccuracies in the
calculation of Ebulk (due to different k-point sampling or limited
self-consistency) are amplified by the factor proportional to the number
of layer.
   One way the surfare can be calculated is to rewrite  eq 2 as
   En = n Ebulk + 2 A Ens
   and then extract Ebulk and Ens from a linear fit of calculated En for
large enough n.
   The slope of the resulting straight line is related to Ebulk and
should be close to the directly calculated value in a bulk cell while
the intersection with the vertical axis gives you the surface energy
(times 2A).
   Hope this helps,
   Stefano de Gironcoli  -  SISSA and DEMOCRITOS