[Pw_forum] job submission script

Jelle van Sijl jelle.van.sijl at falw.vu.nl
Tue Nov 11 10:17:04 CET 2008

Dear All,
I am having difficulties writing a good job submission script for pwscf in
parallel on a cluster with sometimes very slow NFS performance.
example job: 23h 4m CPU time for 23h 50m wall time
User files are stored in /home/user  (this is the slow part)
scratch space on each node is a variable (TMPDIR), which is fast.
When I submit the job (see script below) from the directory on /home/user,
pwscf stores everything in that folder but the repeated IO operations slow
down the job.
I already set disc_io=low and wf_collect=true
How can I work efficiently on the scratch space of each node, but still
find all output in /home/user after a successful run?

thanks in advance,

Jelle van Sijl
ps: I replaced my loginname on the cluster with 'user'

--
drs. Jelle van Sijl
PhD student, Department of Petrology

#!/bin/bash
#
# Job script for running parallel pwscf 4.0.1
# on lisa. Created 11-08-2008 by Jelle van Sijl
#
# This is a job requesting 4 cores.
# request 2 nodes, 2 cores per node and
# each node equipped with the infiniband network:
#PBS -lnodes=2:ppn=2:infiniband:cores2
#PBS -lwalltime=01:00:00
#PBS -joe

# Edit this part:
export INP=INPUT
export OUT=OUTPUT
# Leave the rest.
#
# ---- start of MVAPICH related code:
# test if ~/.mpd.conf exists, create it if not:
if [ ! -e ~/.mpd.conf ]
  then
          echo MPD_SECRETWORD=$USER$RANDOM$PPID$$ > ~/.mpd.conf
          chmod 600 ~/.mpd.conf
fi
# determine the number of processes to start:
nprocs=`wc -l < $PBS_NODEFILE`
# determine the number of nodes:
nnodes=`sort -u $PBS_NODEFILE | wc -l`
# start the mpd daemons:
/usr/local/mvapich2-intel-0.9.8/bin/mpdboot -n $nnodes -f $PBS_NODEFILE
# ---- End of MVAPICH related code

export EXE=/home/user/espresso-4.0.1/bin/pw.x
export mpiexec=/usr/local/mvapich2-intel-0.9.8/bin/mpiexec
#export mpicopy=/usr/local/mpicopy/bin/mpicpbin.openib

$mpiexec -n $nprocs $EXE < $INP > $OUT