[Pw_forum] Problem in Ionic relaxation and MD runs

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Wed May 28 16:15:08 CEST 2008

On Wed, 28 May 2008, Holger Hesske wrote:

HH> Dear pwscf-users, -developers and other readers,

holger,

[...]

HH> Maybe with the answer of the question above the next part might be unimportant
HH> or useless. But: Starting md's from ideal atomic positions (with and without
HH> temp rescaling, dt ={2, 5, 10, 15, 20}) it always ended up finally with pairs
HH> of BaO having a interatomic distance below 1.3 Angstrom! I guess it is the
HH> same problem...
HH>
HH> Thanks for reading the complete text and in advance for every hint I get.

could be you have a crappy Ba potential. is that one using the
original data from the vanderbilt site? that is one of the dacapo
parameter sets, right? you may need to "tune" the potential fit
parameters to get something reasonable. at least that is my experience
with most of those parameter sets. if you run the pseudopotential
generation code on them, they usually have large "negative densities"
and one has to correct for those by adding constraints to the
potential fitting (or generate a better potential from scratch).

cheers,
    axel.