[Pw_forum] Phonon DOS in noncubic materials

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Fri May 23 09:26:21 CEST 2008

I think (others may want to confirm or deny) that this depends of the
non-analytic behavior of the dynamical matrix in the long-wavelength
limit. Because of this, phonon frequencies at q=0 are strictly
speaking not defined. Their limit as q->0 is indeed well defined only
once the direction of q and of the phonon polarization is specified.
For cubic materials, this non-analiticity gives rise to the well known
LO-TO splitting, whereas for crystals of lower symmetry the situation
is more complicated. If the DOS is calculated using a very fine mesh
of q points, I would expect that the result would be independent on
what happens around q=0. If, instead, too few points are used, I would
not be surprised if the above-mentioned non-analytic behavior would
severly undermine the accuracy of any sensible interpolation procedure
needed for any integration (such as the one used for DOS
calculations). Hope this is not too wrong, and of some help as well. SB

On May 23, 2008, at 7:25 AM, rprasad at iitk.ac.in wrote:

> Dear PWSCF users and developer,
>
> There is a comment in matdyn.f90 that it may not work for noncubic
> materials for calculating phonon DOS. Why is so? Is there a simple
> way to
> modify the program for noncubic materials?
>
> R. Prasad
> IIT Kanpur

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget