[Pw_forum] Defining an antiferromagnetic graphene nanoribbon

Hande Ustunel hande at newton.physics.metu.edu.tr
Sun May 11 14:51:55 CEST 2008

Dear Roberto,

If I may jump in, I don't suppose it would be terribly costly to repeat one
of your calculations with a cutoff that is slightly higher once you are
done with the lower cutoff. You can compare whichever quantities you are
interested in between the two cutoffs and decide whether the error is
within a threshold that is self-determined/acceptable by the community at
large. This would verify once and for all the appropriateness of your
cutoff. Keep in mind however that for a system such as a graphene ribbon
the cutoff may not be the only parameter to optimize. There's still the
smearing and the amount of vaccum to worry about. For this reason, you
should consider an isolated preliminary cutoff convergence study in a
simpler system such as diamond or better still graphene as suggested in
previous replies to your post.

Best wishes,
Hande

--