[Pw_forum] Defining an antiferromagnetic graphene nanoribbon

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Sat May 10 17:54:06 CEST 2008

On Sat, 10 May 2008, Roberto G. A. Veiga wrote:

RV> Dear Stefano:
RV>

RV> I'm using Ultrasoft PPs. My question was because this cutoff (20 Ry)
RV> seemed to be appropriate for other carbonic systems.

dear roberto,

as stefano mentioned, what is appropriate depends on the individual
potential(s) and the properties that you are iterested in. while
20-30ry is the usual wfc range for uspps, they also tend to require
a higher density cutoff than the default 1:4 ratio that is adequate
for norm-conserving pseudopotentials. there is no "automatically good"
values and a "good beyond any doubt" setting is usually a huge waste
of cpu time. there have been attempts to encode cutoff requirements
into pseudopotential files to make this whole process a little bit
less of a guesswork for unexperienced users, but for the reasons
outlined above, it is very difficult to make a choice. it is one
of the items, where you just have to know what you are doing and
run the required tests by yourself... :-(

cheers,
   axel.