[Pw_forum] comparing gaussian03 with pwscf

O. Baris Malcioglu baris.malcioglu at gmail.com
Mon May 5 22:12:09 CEST 2008

I completely agree with you, but I think what I have in mind is much
more trivial than that. When calculating a system in Gaussian using AE
wavefunctions you are to find a basis set that describes all atoms in
the structure simultaneously, unless you are using something like an
ONIOM model, which has added complications. For example, when using
PWSCF, you can use  La.pbe-nsp-van.UPF
<http://www.pwscf.org/pseudo/1.3/UPF/La.pbe-nsp-van.UPF> for the
Lanthanide and say C.pbe-van_ak.UPF
<http://www.pwscf.org/pseudo/1.3/UPF/C.pbe-van_ak.UPF>  for the carbon,
and since the valance set will consist of  (different combination of)
planewaves on -both- sides, the both PPs are interoperable. On the
contrary, using something like 6-31G* for the Carbon and LanL2DZ for the
Lanthanide is not possible straightforwardly in a Gaussian AE
calculation since the very definition of valance basis functions are
different on these sets. Looking at the corresponding manual at
http://www.gaussian.com/g_ur/m_basis_sets.htm you can see that for a
basis set that describes both La and C simultaneously, the choices are
quite limited, and coarse if used straightforwardly. Thus, I think there
might be a chance that the charge difference  is arising from having
forced to use too coarse basis sets.

Well, I hope another view on the matter helps.

O. Baris Malcioglu
SISSA CM sector,
Trieste,  Italy