[Pw_forum] comparing gaussian03 with pwscf

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Mon May 5 21:25:18 CEST 2008

On Mon, 5 May 2008, O. Baris Malcioglu wrote:

BM> Hi,
BM>
BM> Maybe some details on how you are calculating the system in Gaussian
BM> will be helpful, especially the basis set and the X-C functionals. I
BM> suspect the problem arises from the intrinsic difficulty of describing
BM> Carbon atoms and Lanthanium at the same time using all-electron
BM> wavefunctions. You should pay extra attention how your carbon cores are
BM> described in a set that is tailored for Lanthanoids, or vice versa.

baris,

i beg to differ. there may be basis set completenes issues when
using a too small basis set, but why should you need to tailor
the carbon basis set for lanthanoids? the whole point of having
defined basis sets is, that those _are_ balanced. so that should
at most be a minor effect.

i would rather expect the differences arising from much
more obvious issues. i.e.,

a) the fact that you have to project your plane wave wavefunction
   on an atomic basis set and that this projection cannot be
   complete, since you don't have a complete basis set that
   you project on. rather you use a minimal basis built from the
   atomic pseudowavefunctions. you can easily lose 1-2 electrons here.

b) as paolo already noted, the differences between different ways
   to perform the population analysis. e.g. mulliken vs. loewdin vs.
   nbo vs. ...

if you have access to the CPMD (www.cpmd.org) code you can easily see
how large those effects can be, as the code allows to project on
either atomic pseudo wavefunction or a minimal slater basis (or any
gaussian basis you define in the input) as well as it supports mulliken
and loewdin like analysis. comparing the dependence of the thusly
calculated partial charges from plane waves on the basis set and
method is quite educational... (not to mention the
impact of pseudopotentials, plane wave cutoff etc...).

we are frequently tempted to put too much trust into the many
digits of numbers that we calculate. their absolute accuracy
can be _much_ less.

cheers,
   axel.