[Pw_forum] band energies

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 31 12:15:21 CEST 2008

Dear Helen,

there are several ways to look at this - most thorough discussion would
be Caspar Fall PhD thesis at EPFL (www.epfl.ch) - it's available on the
web. Also, for a recent review, citing most of the relevant literature,
you could look at http://arxiv.org/abs/0801.1077 . The papers
by Baldereschi/Baroni/Resta/Peressi from the late '80s onwards on
homo and heterosemiconductor junctions contain the original discussion
of these issues.

In short - you can refer the homo of your bulk semiconductor to another
property that is easy to transfer across non-bulk environment - often
the average value of the Hartree or of the Kohn-Sham potentials. Suppose
the HOMO were 3.5 eV above the Hartree bulk average.

Then, in a slab calculation, you can find out what is the average
Hartree well inside the slab (where it is bulk-like), and well outside
the slab, what it reaches the vacuum level. Suppose this difference
is 5eV. Then, the HOMO is 1.5eV below the vacuum level - i.e. it takes
1.5eV to bring the top valence electron well outside the solid (across
the surface used in your slab calculation - these quantities are surface
dependent).

				nicola