[Pw_forum] CaCuO2 and LDA+U

Matteo Cococcioni matteo at umn.edu
Tue Mar 25 16:04:15 CET 2008

Dear Chao Cao,

I'm not sure that I can provide very useful hints for this problem. with
the few informations you provide it's a little bit like shooting in the
dark....
First of all are you sure you are doing equivalent calculations with
Vasp and PWscf? for example, are cutoffs the same? the smearing? what
about potentials? Of course, qualitatively, results should not depend
too much on the pseudopotential. But the story is a little bit different
for LDA+U calculations. In some cases with different pseudos you may
need quite different Us to obtain the same results (e.g. as large as 1
eV differences may be needed switching from LDA to GGA). Did you try to
"play" a little bit with U and check what happens for bigger values?
I checked your input file and it looks fine to me. However you use a
curious unit cell that is rotated 45 degrees wrt the cartesian axes on
the xy plane. Again this shouldn't matter in standard calculations.
However with LDA+U sometimes the code gets trapped in local minima and
the initial choice of occupations could be important. changing the
orientation of the unit cell will change the orientation of the
spherical harmonics used to obtain the atomic occupations. Maybe this
will help finding the right ground state.
Apart from this Cu compounds may be problematic (especially with oxygen
present). I have no direct experience yet but you can try to look for
Paul Grant's email to the forum on the topic. How many electrons do you
get on the Cu atoms?

Hope this helps.

Matteo