[Pw_forum] I want to ask how to construct anti-ferromagnetic structure ?

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Mon Mar 17 17:53:15 CET 2008

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, r95222066 at ntu.edu.tw wrote:

BHC> Dear all PWscf user,

dear bing-hong chen,

BHC>           I want to ask how to construct anti-ferromagnetic structure ?

[...]

BHC> (1)" starting_magnetization(1)= 0.0",etc .. in PWscf scf $system
BHC> part , in
BHC> (2)"ATOMIC_SPECIES" part
BHC>   Ca1 40.078   Ca.pbe-nsp-van.UPF
BHC>   Co1 58.93320 Co.pbe-nd-rrkjus.UPF
BHC>   Co2 58.93320 Co.pbe-nd-rrkjus.UPF
BHC>    O1 15.9994  O.pbe-rrkjus.UPF

BHC> Is there somthing else I must advert ? The Co atoms have two different

you are on the right path. using two labels for the same pseudopotential
is the ticket, but you should also break the symmetry by assigning
a starting magnetization of -0.1 to the first and 0.1 to the second
Co pseudo.

the system should then converge to the right state (minus the
general deficiencies of plain DFT).

cheers,
   axel.