[Pw_forum] questions about intel CPU and vc-relax using bfgs cell optimization

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Thu Jun 26 05:50:38 CEST 2008

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, vega lew wrote:

VL> Dear all,
VL>

VL> I built a cluster of 5 computers with intel Core TM 2 Q6600 CPU
VL> (quadcore), and 40G memory total (8G each) on S3000AH system board.
VL> The network is 1Gbit Ethernet. I also checked the em64t option in
VL> BIOS is on, so I think Q6600 is a cpu using em64t technology. For
VL> more information about my CPU, see

more important is to determine whether you installed a 32-bit or
a 64-bit version of the OS. you can find that out with 'uname -a'.
for 32-bit you get (amongst others) i386 and i686 whereas for
64-bit you get x86_64. regardless of bios options or what cpuinfo
shows, the cpu can handle both.

[...]

VL> Therefore, I updated my intel C++ and Fortran Compilers from
VL> 10.1.008 to latest vision 10.1.017 for Intel(R) 64 and MKL from
VL> 10.0.011 to latest 10.0.3.020, file names displayed on website were
VL> l_cc_p_10.1.017_intel64.tar.gz, l_cc_p_10.1.017_intel64.tar.gz and
VL> l_mkl_p_10.0.3.020.tgz. After installation of the three, I compiled
VL> for em64t vision of blas95 lapack95 in

those are not needed.

VL> /opt/intel/mkl/10.0.3.020/interfaces/ using ifort under
VL> /opt/intel/fce/10.1.017/bin/. Then compiled mpich2 using ifort and
VL> icc. But when I compile fftw 2.1.5 an error occurred, so I compile

it is much better to compiler fftw with the native gcc compiler.
but since QE actually contains FFTW there is no need to install
or compile it.

VL> the fftw 2.1.5 using 10.1.008 ifort and icc on other node with same
VL> hardware, the scp it to master node. After all above done, I turned
VL> to compile QE.

VL> But to my surprise, QE detected my architecture as amd64, not ia32
VL> or ia64. My first question is does QE support the intel EM64T
VL> technology and take advantages from it ?

it is neither ia32 nor ia64. amd actually invented this 64-bit mode
and then intel named it EM64t (to avoid having to call it amd64).
the official linux architecture is x86_64.

VL> At last, I compile the QE using amd64 architecture schedule by intel
VL> C++ and Fortran 10.1.017 vision and MKL 10.0.3.020 library, but I
VL> find it less efficienct the the QE compiled by intel C++ and Fortran
VL> 10.1.008 vision and 10.0.011 library. The efficiency of QE compiled
VL> by 10.1.008 compiler and 10.0.011 is about 60% but the QE compiled
VL> by 10.1.017compiler is 10% tested by input file like this:

how do you determine this "efficiency"? how do you run your job?

since MKL will automatically multi-thread across all cores,
you have to set the environment variable OMP_NUM_THREADS to 1
or else you'll be oversubscribing each cpu 4x. secondly, for
efficient operation across gigabit ethernet (which is quite slow
and has very high latencies), you have to parallelize across
k-point pools, at least between nodes or else your performance
will be horrible. if you have not taken care of mkl multithreading
all performance data will be bogus.

VL> My second question is about the efficiency:
VL> Which compiler and MKL vision is the best one for my cluster?

the one that runs corectly. the performance difference between
a different optimized implementations of BLAS are on average
of the order of 10% of the total time. compiler impact (e.g.
between g95/gfortran and intel 10) is of the same order.

VL> Why I updated my MKL and compilers brings me less efficiency?

that has most likely other reasons (runaway processes?, other users?)

VL> What is the best efficiency of my cluster can reach ? 60% is low or high for QE?

you should be able to do better, if you run your job the right way.
please check the documentation on how to run QE properly in parallel.

to determine the performance baseline, you should first run a test
with only one MPI task and set OMP_NUM_THREADS to 1 (read the intel
docs about this).

cheers,
   axel.