[Pw_forum] my understanding about ASR

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Thu Jun 19 20:11:51 CEST 2008

Soft modes at small (but finite) q can indeed be an indication of an
elastic or a mechanical instability. At q=0, there should be exactly
thre zero modes, though, irrespective of the occurrence of such an
instability (I believe). Imaginary frequencies can also occur at q=0,
but _in addition_ to the three zero modes mentioned above. cheers - SB

On Jun 19, 2008, at 7:10 PM, stewart at cnf.cornell.edu wrote:

> [...]
> recall having greater problems with negative frequencies at the
> Gamma point
> for systems that had the lattice constant greater than the
> equilibrium value
> (expanded system).  This occurred for direct calculations at small q
> and
> also based on interpolating the phonon dispersion from the q grid.
> Here you
> get phonon softening which shifts the phonon dispersion curves down
> and
> perhaps this leads to problems with calculating the phonon
> dispersion from
> the given q grid near Gamma.  I took this as an indication of the
> instability of the expanded structure, but perhaps this is not the
> best way
> to view it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Derek
>

> Stefano Baroni writes:
>

>> On Jun 19, 2008, at 4:17 PM, stewart at cnf.cornell.edu wrote:
>>
>>> Fig 2 (D. A. Stewart, New. J. Phys. 10 043025 (2008)).  Of course,
>>> the
>>> difference you get between ASR results and direct calculations will
>>> depend
>>> strongly on how well relaxed your structure is.
>>
>> hmmm: this may well be the case, but if this is so, it must be for a
>> nontrivial reason (which, if true, would qualify the "of course" as
>> slightly misplaced).
>>
>> the total force acting on any isolated system is of course zero, even
>> though the system is not at equilibrium ("not well relaxed"). in
>> particular, this total force is invariant ("invariantly zero!") with
>> respect to a homogeneous translation of the system. therefore, the
>> system
>> must have a zero mode (actually three of them: one for each
>> cartesian
>> coordinate), irrespective on how well (or how bad) the  internal
>> degrees
>> of freedom have been optimized.
>>
>> is this wrong?
>>
>> SB
>>

>>> http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1367-2630/10/4/043025
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Derek

>>> ################################
>>> Derek Stewart, Ph. D.
>>> Scientific Computation Associate
>>> http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/das248/
>>> 250 Duffield Hall
>>> Cornell Nanoscale Facility (CNF)
>>> Ithaca, NY 14853
>>> stewart (at) cnf.cornell.edu
>>> (607) 255-2856
>>
>> ---
>> Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
>> Trieste
>> [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)
>>
>> La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une
>> morale  de
>> la pensée - Jean Piaget
>>
>> Please, if possible, don't  send me MS Word or PowerPoint attachments

---
http://www.sissa.it/~baroni / [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /