[Pw_forum] my understanding about ASR

stewart at cnf.cornell.edu stewart at cnf.cornell.edu
Thu Jun 19 19:10:45 CEST 2008

Hi Stefano,

You raise a good point and perhaps I should have been more careful in my
previous statement.  I agree that based on symmetry, the total forces on the
system should be zero and there should be a set of zero mode.  Applying the
acoustic sum rule reinstates this fact.  From my practical experience, I
recall having greater problems with negative frequencies at the Gamma point
for systems that had the lattice constant greater than the equilibrium value
(expanded system).  This occurred for direct calculations at small q and
also based on interpolating the phonon dispersion from the q grid.  Here you
get phonon softening which shifts the phonon dispersion curves down and
perhaps this leads to problems with calculating the phonon dispersion from
the given q grid near Gamma.  I took this as an indication of the
instability of the expanded structure, but perhaps this is not the best way
to view it.

Best regards,

Derek