[Pw_forum] how to avoid this warning ?

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Sun Jul 27 22:33:13 CEST 2008

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008, Stefano Baroni wrote:

SB> Ian haping:
SB>
SB> >this warning originates from MKL. you have to check out intel's support
SB> >forums for MKL or contact intel support to get help or an explanation
SB> >for that.
SB>
SB> probably, people in this mailing list will like to learn about the
SB> information you get

hi stefano,

i stuffed the warning into google and it looks as if this
originates from incorrect linking, e.g. by trying to link
a static library as dynamic. without digging too deep into
the technical details it looks as if this would happen when
an old x86_64 compiler executable would be used on a too
new installation or similarly related software that may mess
with dynamic and static linkage of libraries (e.g. MPI).
the error shows up on a large number of quite unrelated
software packages.

it is essentially a user error... and it has to be taken seriously
since the affected functionality will not work. with large libraries
like MKL it is impossible to predict whether some low level
function is needed or not. if the calculation continues it would
be worse than getting a straight crash as one cannot know whether
there is some data corrupted or operations not performed and thus
the resulting data dependable or not.

cheers,
   axel.