[Pw_forum] cp.x temperature decreases

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 21 20:10:52 CEST 2008

Dear Tim,

quick comment - does the CP constant of motion stay flat (econt -
electronic energy plus ionic kinetic plus ficititious kinetic) ?

If it does, you have a properly executed CP simulation, where, depending
on the gap, you observe some amount of "equilibration" between the
real (ions) and fictitious degrees of freedom. I forgot if the
2x1 in C is slighlty metallic - of course, molten Si is definitely
metallic, so it all seems to make sense.

If the case, have a close look at the Hutter Marx paper review we often
mention, and available on the web.

If the drift is small, you can add a thermostat on ions (and maybe also
on electrons, to avoid them warming up). If the drift is large, you need
to move to born-oppenheimer simulations, of which cp has the
"ensemble-dft" recipe. If you do that, remember that only the current
cvs (and not the public release) has a fix for an important bug in
parallel calculations.

			nicola