[Pw_forum] GGA underestimate the lattice constant of BaTiO3

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Sat Jul 19 21:08:48 CEST 2008

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008, ruizhi zhang wrote:

RZ> Dear all

dear ruizhi,

please note that when trying to optimize a lattice constant from a
variable cell calculation, you have to make sure that your stress tensor
is fully converged with respect to both the wavefunction and the density
cutoff and shows no signs of pulay stress, i.e. changes in the stress
tensor due to the fact that you are not running at constant cutoff, but
with a constant number of plane waves, so that with a change of volume
your effective cutoff changes (this effect can be reduced using the
constant cutoff scheme, see input_pp description and the respective
papers). in most cases, it is highly advantageous to do a series of
single point calculations and then fit the resulting energy vs. volume
graph to an equation of state.

as it has been discussed here many times, for ultra-soft
pseudopotentials, you usually have to use a much higher density
cutoff than the default of 4x the wavefunction cutoff. check out
the mailing list archives. a factor of 10 seems to be more common.
one recommended strategy was to first keep the 1:4 ratio and increase
the wavefunction cutoff until sufficient convergence is achieved and
then keep the resulting density cutoff value fixed and reduce the
wavefunction cutoff until the error on the stress tensor becomes
larger again. for variable cell, you'll still have to use an increased
cutoff. how much increased depends on whether you use the constant
cutoff scheme (correctly) or not.

hope that helps,
    axel.