[Pw_forum] How to simulate cation H+ without electron or Li+ with only two electrons

Hoi-land Sit sit at sas.upenn.edu
Tue Jul 15 18:47:58 CEST 2008

Dear Vega,

I am not sure if i understand well your question. But in the work
mentioned by Lorenzo, we introduced a penalty functional to control the
ionization state of an ion. It is done by forcing a desired occupation
number on the ion when the K-S orbitals are projected on the atomic
orbitals. This technique was used to study electron transfer reactions, in
particular to calculate the energy gap between diabatic states. In such
calculations, the system is forced out of its DFT ground state. at this
moment, we are working to incorporate this part of the code to be
available for download.

Best,

Patrick Sit
Postdoctoral Associate