[Pw_forum] nonmagnetic solution of bct Fe

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 19:49:59 CET 2008

Hi,

Your input file is controversional.
First you specify  ibrav=7 (bct), but then you require
that there are two atoms in the unit cell.

> ATOMIC_POSITIONS
>  Fe 0.0 0.0 0.0
>  Fe 0.5 0.5 0.5

That is not correct, with ibrav=7 you should specify
only one Fe atom, (0,0,0).

The atomic positions you have chosen is for simple
tetragonal system,  ibrav=6. Also keep in mind "alat"
is default for atomic positions.

Please also follow the   Netiquette accepted in this
forum providing your affiliation.

Bests,
Eyvaz.

--- Hongbin Zhang <h.zhang at ifw-dresden.de> wrote:

> Dear all users,
>
> I am trying to do some test calculation of Fe,
> actually, bct Fe, with
> pwscf 3.2.3. However, with the input file attached,
> I got a nonmagnetic
> state --- the total magnetic moments is ZERO.
>
> However, the input file works for bcc Fe and FePt,
> at least I could get
> Ferromagnetic states for these two.
>
> Any comments? or suggestions? Thanks a lot.
>
> PS: I also tried without starting_magnetization(2),
> which is correct
> according the DOC/INPUT_PW, but nonmagnetic still.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Hongbin Zhang
>

> >  &control
>     calculation='scf'
>     restart_mode='from_scratch',
>     prefix='fe',
>     tprnfor = .true
>     tstress = .true
>     pseudo_dir = './',
>     outdir='./'
>  /
>  &system
>     ibrav=7, celldm(1) =5.3329286,
> celldm(3)=0.95178592, nat=2, ntyp=1,
>     nspin = 2, starting_magnetization(1)=0.9,
> starting_magnetization(2)=0.9,
>     ecutwfc = 30.0, ecutrho = 288.0,
>     occupations='smearing',
> smearing='methfessel-paxton', degauss=0.02
>  /
>  &electrons
>     conv_thr = 1.0e-8
>     mixing_beta = 0.7
>  /
> ATOMIC_SPECIES
>  Fe 55.847 Fe.pz-sp-van_ak.UPF
> ATOMIC_POSITIONS
>  Fe 0.0 0.0 0.0
>  Fe 0.5 0.5 0.5
> K_POINTS {automatic}
>  12 12 12 0 0 0

Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys, Russia,
IFM, Linkoping University, Sweden
Condensed Matter Theory Group, Uppsala University, Sweden
Eyvaz.Isaev at fysik.uu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com