[Pw_forum] ld1.x Questions

Paul M. Grant w2agz at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 19 01:26:42 CET 2008

Thanks to all who replied.  Additional comments follow:

1) Negative occupations.  I should have guessed...or scanned INPUT_LD1 more
thoroughly.  Let me see if I got this right.  In constructing a PP for
sulfur, I should "unoccupy" the 3d states?  But what about heavily oxidized
sulfur molecules, like in SF6 where S3d participates in the bonding?  I
guess this is why PP cooking requires a good chef.

2) TM PP examples.  This was, as we Yanks say, a purposely "loaded
question."  Or casting a net seeking pearls of wisdom.  Those following my
LDA+U thread know I'm looking for a Cu PP (and probably an O partner) that
will yield a gap in cuprate compounds (nominally divalent Cu-O bonds). I
strongly suspect given the notoriety of this family of structures, many have
tried and failed.  The only formalism that I know which has succeeded in
this endeavor has been LDA+U on an LMTO basis set.  The Cu PP issue may
perhaps be the most interesting challenge facing PP "theory and practice"
today.  Thanks for pointing out that the CVS /pseudo_library/... does
contain some TM examples, but they're 4d and 5d.  As far as I know, none of
their monoxides are Hubbard insulators (if indeed they can be formed
chemically at all...during the pandemonium of early Spring, 1987, my group
at IBM Almaden mined the whole 4 and 5 series searching for HTSCs with no
hits.  Those were very heady and naïve days.).

2a) I'm going to try to "reverse engineer" Fe.pz-nd-rrkjus.UPF used in
example 25 into an ".in" file (does anyone have one?) to try and understand
better how ld1.x works (an O.pz-rrkjus.in file already exists in
/atomic_doc/pseudo_library/LDA/SR, but the O.pz-rrkjus.UPF produced by CVS
ld1.x is "somewhat" different than that contained in the distro library
/pseudo and used in example 25 (different total energies by a few tenths of
a percent, no E pseu  and no wfc and rho suggested cutoffs in the latter and
fewer mesh points in the former ???)).  Simplistically, Fe++ is the minority
spin electron analog of the minority spin hole state expected in Cu++.

3) ld1.x - CVS vs Espresso.  Espresso ld1.x screws up the &input namelist
sequence, especially the "author" entry (is "ADC" the mysterious Andrea Dal
Corso?), and about half the time fails to properly format the total energy
(all asterisks in the UPF output, likely a Fortran format placeholder limit
problem).

4) Grace output.  Another loaded question. I anticipated Paolo's answer, but
was hoping that some saintly soul in a state of grace...usually a
postdoc...in the PWscf community had taken this task on.

Paul M. Grant, PhD
Principal, W2AGZ Technologies
Visiting Scholar, Applied Physics, Stanford University
EPRI Science Fellow (Retired)
IBM Research Staff Member Emeritus
w2agz at pacbell.net
http://www.w2agz.com