[Pw_forum] Newbie Questions

Jack Shultz jackygrahamez at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 19:40:14 CET 2008

Thank you Matteo.

Axel and I had number of correspondences and he gave me answers and his
opinion on some my questions. I'm seeing the multiple challenges involved
with a high throughput analysis for identifying catalysts based on molecular
data.

I am getting help on babel, just having trouble with windows platform for
now. Easier than writing my own script to convert formats.

I am looking at different ways of combining estimates on transition state
structures with molecular docking. Theoretically the transition state
should be able to bind to the active site of an enzyme. I am going to look
at computationally light methods that can run on a standard desktop at most
three days. Perhaps something that gives similar but different transition
state structures for each run. Starting off with simple catalysts and
parameterizing these simulations.

NEB might not be the best approach within the confines of an entire enzyme
due to the degrees of freedom. If studied in isolation it may yield
inaccurate results due to missing entropy. Maybe it is close enough.
Otherwise i could have substrate binding to the catalyst then only look at
the 30 closest atoms near the binding site. Hopefully DFT plane-wave pseudo
potentials are not too massive a computational task with that many atoms. I
really just learning this stuff.

Or I can use semi-empirical QM/MM to do either of those types of
experiments. At first I only plan to look at simple one step reactions.
Either zero or first order. Would it be easier to analyze zero order or do
those have a saddle point energy?

Anyway, I hear there are many theoretical problems with DFTs for the purpose
I'm exploring. At the very least I hope to see what those problems are for
my own edification. Where do I look for information on LDA+U calculations?
Is it in journals that I have buy or is it posted somewhere?

Jack