[Pw_forum] Help to learn

Faridul Isalm faridul at email.com
Sun Jan 6 10:10:23 CET 2008

Dear Sir,
I am a novice user of Quantum Espersso (PWscf).I use it on the CYGWIN platform. I did the examples successfully those are given with Quantum Espresso package. I am now trying to learn "band structure calculation" step. But I face the following problems:

1) when I run plotband.x, there need to specify "Efermi", but where I get this value. I look all output files, nowhere that is. such as for Si Efermi = 6.337, from where this value comes.

2)when this method is used for other materials such as SiO2, MnO2, GaAs, etc., then how can i specify their ibrav in the &system namelist. and also how can I know their celldm.

3)when it is used for semiconductor materials, then which variables may need to specify in the &system namelist.

4)how can I determine the proper "ecutwfc" of a particular material. is it =kT?

5)I face a great problem when I use k-points {automatic}, then output of the band does not match with the given examples. But when I use 36 k-points that are given in the examples then it is ok. Now how can I choose the proper k-points for a particular material.

6)When I run xcrysden --pwo si.scf.out, then i get " the hardware does not support the stereo" error massage. My computer is "Intel Core2 Duo, 1.86GHz, 512MB RAM". how can i solve this problem.

I will be very greatful to you, if you kindly give me the solutions of the above mentioned problems. I want to learn about this method clearly. I will be very happy if you give me yours further valuable   successions that can help me to learn.

Thank you for your valuable time.

Sincerely
Dr. A.K.Md Farid ul Islam
Assistant Professor,
Dept. of Physics,
Carmichael University College, Rangpur-5004, Bangladesh

--
Got No Time? Shop Online for Great Gift Ideas!
http://mail.shopping.com/?linkin_id=8033174